Symphony of the Vines (‘The Symphony’) is a professional orchestra based in northern San Luis Obispo County. The mission of The Symphony is to engage and enrich the audience with music and artistry of the highest caliber.
Symphony of the Vines was founded in 2010 by Dr. Gregory Magie and is rapidly earning a reputation for artistically compelling and musically engaging performances. The Symphony performs music spanning over 400 years, giving variety and enchantment to each concert, offering four performances per year at various locations. It has developed a Chamber Music series that is presented in wineries and homes and has also presented a series of performances in the local schools.
The Symphony is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization committed to bringing live classical music to San Luis Obispo County.
This is a new position funded in part by a grant from the San Luis Obispo County Community Foundation. As such, it is an opportunity for the experienced nonprofit professional to help develop the role of Executive Director for the Symphony. While the hours will vary from 0 to about 20 depending on the week, we estimate an average of 7 hours per week to begin.
The successful candidate will:
• have a passion for the arts and for music in particular
• have nonprofit board and/or work experience
• have demonstrated leadership ability, team management, and interpersonal skills
• be collaborative, valuing the input and strengths of others
• have demonstrated skills in logistics, setting priorities, time management, delegation, and wise utilization of resources
• be skilled in customer relations and donor cultivation
• have a balance of vision and practicality
• not be afraid to ‘get their hands dirty’
• have demonstrated ability to read, write and converse in conversational and business English including the ability to present to groups both large and small
• have demonstrated ability in small nonprofit financial management
• have demonstrated ability in coordination of publicity, graphics and other public relations functions including oversight of development and production of promotional materials including concert programs
• have demonstrated ability in event planning and execution.
Essential functions and responsibilities include:
• provide day-to-day leadership and management to the organization mirroring its adopted mission and core values
• assist in setting goals and objectives and in achieving them
• collaborate with the Board and community to develop and implement plans to meet the Symphony’s objectives
• develop internal processes
• provide timely, accurate reporting to the Board
• spearhead the development, communication and implementation of effective strategies and processes for growth
• with the Board, attract, recruit and retain a donor and volunteer community
• assist in raising funds to enable the Symphony to meet growth objectives
• represent the Symphony with donors, community and business partners
• day to day office/clerical responsibilities (telephone, mail, electronic communication, etc).
As this is a new position, the successful candidate will also help lead the Symphony in initiating/refining some basic organizational structures including, but not limited to:
• assign rolls and tasks; track follow-through
• organize the mailing list for more effective communication and for growth
• refine and develop the website to increase its effectiveness and efficiency of operation
• coordinate financial recordkeeping including ticket sales, donations, payment of bills
• establish/improve donor cultivation, solicitation and recognition systems
• with the Conductor/Music Director, coordinate concert details and logistics.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
For the past 5 years the Board and other volunteers have facilitated the operation of the Symphony. The organization has grown to the point that it needs a central managing figure to continue to grow and flourish. In developing this job description, the Symphony realizes that the position may evolve depending on the strengths and talents of the person selected as the first Executive Director.
Starting pay for this position is $23.00 per hour.
Provide a letter of interest, a resume, and 3 professional references via USPS:
Executive Director Application
Symphony of the Vines
P.O. Box 2848
Paso Robles, CA 93447
Click for Email Contact with subject line “Executive Director Application”
Applications must be received by July 30, 2015.